Monday 13 November 2017

Building the Next Spectrum

I have managed to pickup a very, very cheap Recreated ZX Spectrum (RZXS).  This seems to be the ideal donor to improve my original ZX Spectrum Pi.  I have seen many projects online using this case and a Pi Zero. I would like to attempt to, first improve my own project, second document the conversion process.

Step 1. Testing the hardware
I have compiled the the latest version of Fuse on the Raspberry Pi to give support for RZXS in layer A mode (Game mode).  This seems to work well, but has raised the question:  How to access in game menus, my current thoughts are buttons at the rear of the unit. 


Ready for upgrade


Remove the screws from the bottom of the unit, be careful not to damage the two ribbon cables that attach between the top and bottom halfs 



My current layout thoughts, keep the Pi to the rear of the unit. This will allow for access to the power socket directly on the Pi. I’m happy with the idea of using an adapter for the HDMI on the outside or using a cable with the correct connectors. 

Using the test pads on the Pi it should be possible to connect the USB from the RZXS board to the Pi.